Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Ghostbusters: The REAL Reasons for the Backlash and Controversy

I for one am excited for the new Ghostbusters film, but this video makes some excellent points about how it is, so far as we can tell, lacking in some elements that made the original film what it was. I'm just going to try and like it for what it is. Which may very well be the movie Bridesmaids with proton packs. I like both of those things and the original Ghostbusters isn't going anywhere. It's gotta be as good as Ghostbusters 2, no!? As to pushing an SJW agenda, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But if so, all I have to say is that I always thought Dana Barrett and Janine Melnitz were strong female characters!



GHOSTBUSTERS - Official Trailer (HD) by debunkerbuster

Update:

OK, I was taking a moderate stance on this whole deal, but the things brought to light for me featured in the below video are just too much. I was aware of people attacking James Rolfe for his refusal to review the film. I'm a big fan of his and to me he is clearly a very nice guy and not a misogynist or a loser as alleged. What I wasn't aware of was the extreme level of vitriol that Rolfe had received and how a female contemporary of his with similar opinions was being ignored. I was aware of director Paul Feig calling out geek culture as being full of assholes. He was butt-hurt, I can forgive, but I wasn't aware of the officially sanctioned censorship from Sony of well-written criticisms, while leaving misogynistic comments intact. Nor was I aware of how the stars of the film were continuing to advance the false narrative that misogynistic losers were at the heart of the heavy criticism. I also wasn't aware of the extreme politicization going on for Hillary Clinton and against Donald Trump. I'll still watch the film one day somehow, but I won't be paying for it in any way shape or form.