Crystal Skulls: What If We’re Asking the Wrong Question?
By JM Talboo DebunkerBusters.blogspot.com
Crystal skulls have been argued over for decades.
Are they ancient?
Are they modern?
Were they genuinely made by ancient civilizations, or were they created much more recently and passed off as something older?
Those are interesting questions. But I think they may also be the wrong questions to stop at.
Because even if someone eventually demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that a particular crystal skull was made in the nineteenth century, that would tell us something about when it was carved.
It would not necessarily tell us everything about what happened afterward.
And that distinction is where this gets interesting.
What if an object's physical history and its experiential history are two different things?
What if an object can have a relatively ordinary origin but an extraordinary history of human attention, ritual, belief, experience and meaning?
And more fundamentally:
Can human consciousness put something into an object—or even create something that eventually seems to exist independently of the people who created it?
I don't claim to know the answer.
But I think the question deserves more investigation than it usually gets.
The archaeological question
Let's start with the part of the story that is easiest to investigate.
There is substantial evidence that at least some famous crystal skulls are not ancient Mesoamerican artifacts.
Scientific examination has identified characteristics consistent with relatively recent manufacture in some well-known museum skulls. That is an important finding, and it shouldn't simply be ignored because it is inconvenient to a paranormal interpretation.
But there is a tendency to make a leap from:
“This skull appears to have been manufactured in the nineteenth or twentieth century”
to:
“Therefore everything associated with crystal-skull traditions is nonsense.”
Those aren't the same statement.
In fact, I think the word “modern” can sometimes obscure an interesting middle ground.
A nineteenth-century object is not ancient in the archaeological sense. But neither is it a disposable piece of contemporary plastic.
It can have more than a century of history.
People can have handled it, prayed over it, meditated with it, talked about it, fought over it, treasured it, feared it and attributed experiences to it.
That history is real even if the object's origin turns out to be much less mysterious than its mythology.
And that leads to a distinction I think is important throughout this article:
Physical history
When and where was the object made?
Cultural history
What stories, traditions and beliefs became associated with it?
Experiential history
What do people report actually experiencing around it?
Those three histories can be very different.
The Mitchell-Hedges skull and the stories surrounding it
One of the most famous crystal skulls is the skull associated with Anna Mitchell-Hedges.
There is a long-running story that Anna discovered it in the ruins of Lubaantun in Belize in the 1920s. The story has been challenged, and the archaeological history is considerably more complicated than the popular version suggests.
But what interests me here isn't simply whether the discovery story can be proven.
It's what happened afterward.
A New Dawn article about the mystery of the crystal skulls describes the enormous amount of attention that accumulated around the Mitchell-Hedges skull. According to the article, Anna allowed hundreds of people to spend time with the skull, and she received hundreds of letters from people who claimed they had been healed by it or had experienced communication with it.
People reportedly described seeing lights or images in the crystal, experiencing unusual sensations, and having other remarkable experiences.
That doesn't prove the skull healed anybody.
But it does establish something else:
The skull developed an experiential history.
And I think that is worth documenting separately from the archaeological debate.
New Dawn — “The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls”
Suppose tomorrow we proved that the skull was made in the nineteenth century.
Would that automatically mean every person who reported an experience with it was lying?
Of course not.
There would still be hundreds of reported experiences that would need explaining.
The explanation might be psychological.
It might involve expectation, suggestion, group dynamics, altered states of consciousness, coincidence or misinterpretation.
Or, perhaps, something we don't currently understand.
The important thing is not to confuse “we know what caused this” with “we know when the object was made.”
The third position
One reason I find crystal skulls so interesting is that both sides sometimes seem excessively confident.
One side can say:
“These are obviously ancient and possess extraordinary powers.”
The other can respond:
“They're fake, therefore there is nothing more to investigate.”
I'm not satisfied with either conclusion.
A much more interesting approach is to ask what the evidence actually allows us to say.
The Mystery Atlas discussion of crystal skulls is useful in that respect because it examines the subject from multiple angles rather than treating the question as settled simply because one category of evidence is unfavorable to one interpretation.
That approach is much closer to what I'm trying to do here.
I'm not trying to prove that crystal skulls are magical.
I'm also not trying to prove that they aren't.
I'm asking whether there is enough interesting material surrounding them to justify continuing the investigation.
I think there is.
The 13 skulls
One of the most persistent parts of crystal-skull mythology is the idea that there are thirteen significant skulls and that bringing them together somehow unlocks knowledge or produces a larger effect.
There are different versions of the story.
Some connect the skulls to ancient civilizations.
Others connect them to extraterrestrials.
Some say the skulls contain information.
Others describe them as instruments of communication or consciousness.
The Ancient Aliens material is a particularly good example of how these ideas have developed in modern popular culture.
In one episode, the narrator and contributors discuss the idea of thirteen skulls and the possibility that the skulls contain information or represent something far more technologically sophisticated than ordinary ritual objects.
Ancient Aliens: “Crystal Skulls from Outer Space”
Another Ancient Aliens segment takes the technological argument even further.
It begins with something that is unquestionably interesting: modern engineers have demonstrated that quartz-based materials can be engineered to store information.
The program then asks whether that raises the possibility that ancient people might have used crystal for information storage or communication.
Erich von Däniken goes so far as to suggest that we shouldn't automatically exclude the possibility that information could exist in a crystal skull even if we don't currently possess the technology to retrieve it.
That is a hypothesis, not a demonstrated discovery.
But it is an interesting hypothesis.
Ancient Aliens — quartz, information storage and crystal skulls
The important distinction is this:
Modern technology demonstrates that engineered quartz or quartz-based materials can be used for information storage.
That does not demonstrate that an ordinary ancient crystal skull contains a hidden message.
The first statement is technology.
The second is speculation.
And I think we can discuss both without pretending they're the same thing.
Extraterrestrials, Atlantis and the Anunnaki
The extraterrestrial interpretation is probably the most famous version of the crystal-skull mystery.
Ancient astronaut theorists have proposed that crystal skulls could be remnants of a technologically advanced civilization, devices created by extraterrestrials, information-storage systems, or objects connected with lost civilizations such as Atlantis.
Those ideas have also become associated with broader ancient-astronaut theories involving beings sometimes identified as the Anunnaki.
I'm not presenting any of that as established history.
I'm interested in the fact that the same object has become a focal point for an enormous collection of ideas about lost knowledge, consciousness, ancient technology and extraterrestrial contact.
That tells us something about the cultural history of the object.
The longer-form Ancient Aliens material is useful for readers who want to see how these ideas are woven together into the larger ancient-astronaut framework.
Ancient Aliens — “Mysterious Devices & Magic of the Gods”
I also want to be transparent about something: some of the material circulating about these programs comes from summaries rather than complete transcripts. If you watch the source, make up your own mind about how convincing the arguments are.
That's part of the point of this article.
Go look.
Dan Aykroyd and the problem of wanting something to be true
A surprisingly useful discussion comes from an unlikely source: Dan Aykroyd talking with Joe Rogan.
Aykroyd discusses the crystal-skull traditions, the Mitchell-Hedges skull, alleged testing, the thirteen-skull mythology, Indigenous traditions as he understood them, and the competing explanations for where these objects came from.
What makes the discussion interesting to me isn't that Aykroyd believes the skulls might be important.
It's that he also acknowledges uncertainty.
He wants some of the stories to be true, but he recognizes that wanting something to be true isn't evidence that it is true.
That is an important problem for anybody investigating paranormal subjects.
We have to be willing to ask:
What if I'm wrong?
Joe Rogan / Dan Aykroyd — “The Crystal Skulls and Alien Abductions”
I think that question should apply equally to believers and skeptics.
The person who wants the skull to be an extraterrestrial computer should be willing to consider that it might be a nineteenth-century carving.
The person who wants it to be a nineteenth-century carving should also be willing to consider that its history might contain something that archaeology alone cannot explain.
Indiana Jones didn't invent all of this
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull made crystal skulls famous to an enormous audience.
The movie is fiction.
I'm certainly not suggesting that because something appeared in Indiana Jones, it must be historically accurate.
But the movie didn't invent the entire idea out of nowhere.
Crystal skull mythology, mysterious ancient knowledge, extraterrestrial interpretations and the idea of multiple skulls containing some larger secret all existed before Hollywood put them on the screen.
Sometimes popular culture takes an existing fringe tradition and turns it into something much bigger.
That doesn't make the fictional version true.
But it does make it worth asking where the underlying stories came from.
Could belief itself create something?
This is where the subject gets much more interesting to me.
There is an old idea found in several traditions that concentrated thought can produce something that behaves as though it has an existence of its own.
In Tibetan Buddhist and related traditions, there are concepts that have been translated into English using words such as tulpa or thoughtform.
The modern Western understanding of the tulpa is complicated and has been influenced by Western occultism, Theosophy and writers such as Alexandra David-Néel.
So we shouldn't casually pretend that every modern internet discussion of tulpas is identical to historical Tibetan practice.
But the underlying question is fascinating:
Can concentrated consciousness produce an apparently independent form of experience?
My own site has explored this question extensively.
Debunking Death — “WHAT IS A TULPA?”
I've also collected ten examples and lines of evidence that I think are worth considering when examining the possibility that thoughtforms might have some reality beyond ordinary imagination.
Debunking Death — “Top 10 Pieces of Evidence that Paranormal Tulpas Might Actually Exist”
The point isn't that these examples prove tulpas exist.
They don't.
The point is that the human belief that consciousness can produce something apparently separate from the individual is much older and broader than modern crystal-skull culture.
And that gives us another question:
What if people have been experimenting with consciousness in ways we haven't yet learned how to measure?
Alexandra David-Néel and the interesting part skeptics sometimes miss
Alexandra David-Néel is particularly interesting because she didn't simply say, “I created a thoughtform, therefore supernatural beings exist.”
She described her own experiences, but she also entertained the possibility that she had created a hallucination.
That is exactly the sort of ambiguity I find valuable.
A firsthand observer can honestly say:
“I experienced this.”
while still admitting:
“I don't know what caused it.”
That is a much stronger position than pretending certainty.
And that distinction applies directly to crystal skull experiences.
Someone can genuinely experience something extraordinary around a skull without knowing whether the skull caused it.
The experience can be real as an experience without the interpretation automatically being correct.
The Shadow
There's another strange example that fits into this discussion: The Shadow.
Walter Gibson created the fictional character who became one of the most famous pulp heroes of the twentieth century.
There are reports of a strange figure associated with the New York residence where Gibson wrote the stories, and the possibility has been raised that the phenomenon represented a kind of thoughtform or “tulpa” of The Shadow.
The story is discussed by Strange Familiars in an episode specifically devoted to Gibson and the reported apparition.
Strange Familiars — “The Shadow's Ghost”
Again, this isn't proof that Gibson's fictional character became a supernatural being.
But it creates a fascinating sequence:
A fictional character → enormous concentration and attention → cultural reality → reports of encounters with the character.
That doesn't prove a paranormal mechanism.
But it is exactly the sort of case that makes the mechanism worth asking about.
And then there's Slender Man
Slender Man is an even more modern example.
Unlike an ancient deity or mysterious folklore figure, we know exactly where Slender Man came from.
He was created on the internet.
He is fictional.
And yet belief in Slender Man became powerful enough to have real-world consequences, including the horrific 2014 Wisconsin attack in which two young girls attacked another girl while believing they needed to protect themselves from Slender Man.
That case doesn't demonstrate that Slender Man physically existed.
It demonstrates something extremely important:
A fictional idea can become psychologically real enough to change behavior in the physical world.
And that is already extraordinary.
The paranormal question is whether there is another step beyond that.
Could sufficiently concentrated belief ever produce something that is not merely psychological?
I don't know.
But I don't think the question becomes irrational simply because the first stages of the process are psychological.
What about Santa?
Santa Claus offers another intriguing thought experiment.
Millions of people across generations have been encouraged to believe in essentially the same figure.
Children report seeing Santa.
Adults tell stories about Santa.
People dress as Santa.
Entire cultural traditions reinforce the character.
Does that mean a supernatural Santa exists?
Obviously, we can't conclude that.
But if we are investigating the idea of thoughtforms, Santa is an interesting example of what happens when enormous numbers of people repeatedly imagine, discuss, depict and emotionally invest in the same figure.
Maybe nothing more than culture is happening.
Maybe psychology explains everything.
Or perhaps collective attention has properties we don't yet understand.
Again, I'm asking the question—not claiming the answer.
Can consciousness affect physical reality?
This is where I think the discussion becomes much more interesting than simply talking about crystal skull folklore.
I've written about Dean Radin's experiments involving conscious intention and quantum systems.
Debunking Death — “Proving the Existence of Life After Life” / Dean Radin material
Radin and his collaborators have investigated whether conscious intention might produce measurable effects in experiments involving quantum phenomena.
This should not be described as proof that consciousness controls quantum mechanics.
The ordinary double-slit experiment does not establish that human consciousness magically collapses reality.
That is a popular interpretation, not an established scientific conclusion.
Radin's work is asking a more specific and controversial question:
Can conscious intention produce a measurable physical effect without ordinary physical interaction?
If experiments of that kind were eventually replicated robustly, independently and under rigorous conditions, that would be enormously interesting.
It still wouldn't prove that a crystal skull has supernatural powers.
But it would make the larger question considerably more interesting.
Because then we would have experimental evidence that consciousness might interact with physical systems in ways that aren't adequately explained by ordinary assumptions.
And that brings us back to the skull.
Rainbow
This is where this subject becomes personal for me.
I have access to a large crystal skull known as Rainbow.
Rainbow has an extraordinary history attached to it, including claims of archaeological provenance, connections with different traditions, ceremonies and spiritual practices, and stories about its journey before coming into its present circumstances.
I am not presenting every part of that history as established archaeological fact.
The history surrounding Rainbow contains claims, traditions and interpretations.
But that is precisely why I find it fascinating.
Ancient Crystal Skulls — Rainbow
What interests me particularly is the possibility that an object can accumulate significance through the attention of people who interact with it.
I've seen smaller crystal skulls that have spent time with Rainbow, and I believe there is something worth investigating about whether prolonged proximity, attention and intention can somehow affect the experience of the smaller objects.
That's a hypothesis.
And unlike a claim that can't be tested, it's something I can actually investigate.
Does size matter?
Here's another question I keep coming back to.
If there really is some kind of energetic or consciousness-related effect associated with a crystal skull, why should the skull have to be enormous?
Why couldn't a tiny skull matter just as much?
I have been considering an extremely small opal skull—only about an inch across.
It would be almost absurd to compare it physically with Rainbow.
But if whatever we are talking about is not simply a matter of physical size, then size might be irrelevant.
That gives us a prediction.
If spiritual significance is proportional to physical size, tiny objects should matter less.
If it isn't, then perhaps a tiny object could have enormous personal or symbolic significance.
That's something that can at least be explored.
My own experiences with thoughtforms
I should also acknowledge my own position.
I have personally had an experience that I interpret as creating and encountering a tulpa.
I know that doesn't prove the phenomenon exists objectively.
It proves that I had an experience.
That's different.
But I don't think firsthand experience should automatically be thrown away simply because it isn't laboratory evidence.
If somebody tells me they saw something strange, I don't have to believe their interpretation in order to take their testimony seriously.
That's the approach I want to take here.
Experience is evidence of experience.
The harder question is what caused it.
The cumulative case
This is probably the most important part of the article.
I'm not looking for one piece of evidence that says:
“CRYSTAL SKULLS ARE DEFINITELY SUPERNATURAL.”
I don't expect to find that.
Instead, I'm interested in whether a collection of smaller observations might eventually become difficult to dismiss.
Consider the different categories:
- Archaeological investigations of famous skulls.
- Longstanding traditions about crystal skulls.
- Reports of unusual experiences around particular skulls.
- Hundreds of reported healing experiences associated with the Mitchell-Hedges skull.
- Thoughtform traditions.
- Alexandra David-Néel's accounts.
- Reports surrounding The Shadow.
- Modern examples such as Slender Man.
- Experiments investigating whether intention can influence physical systems.
- Modern demonstrations that quartz-based materials can store information.
- The enormous cultural investment people have placed in crystal skulls.
- Personal experiences that don't fit neatly into conventional explanations.
- And objects such as Rainbow, which have accumulated extraordinary histories of their own.
None of these, individually, proves the paranormal interpretation.
But that's not necessarily how evidence works.
Sometimes the question isn't:
“Do we have the smoking gun?”
It's:
“How much weight does the entire collection of evidence carry?”
A real-world experiment
And this is where I'm taking the next step.
I'm planning to do something that I think is more useful than simply arguing about crystal skulls online.
I plan to acquire another large crystal skull and actually investigate it.
I'm not expecting an EMF meter to suddenly explode.
In fact, I'd be surprised if it did.
But I'm going to measure things anyway.
I'll compare the skull with ordinary quartz and other crystals.
I'll document the objects.
I'll video what I'm doing.
I'll meditate with the skull.
And here's an important part:
I'm not going to enter the meditation convinced that something will happen.
But I'm also not going to enter convinced that nothing can happen.
I want to hold both possibilities in my mind.
Something might happen.
Nothing might happen.
And I want to document that mental state rather than pretend I don't have expectations.
The haunted-location experiment
I'm also planning to investigate reportedly haunted locations both with and without the skull.
The ideal experiment would involve comparable sessions under different conditions.
For example:
Location A — no skull
Location A — skull present
Location B — no skull
Location B — skull present
And if possible, I want multiple sessions rather than one dramatic night.
If ten sessions without the skull produce one unusually interesting response, while ten comparable sessions with the skull produce five, that would at least be something worth discussing.
It wouldn't prove the skull caused the difference.
There could be dozens of explanations.
But it would be a result.
And if nothing changes?
I'll report that too.
Why the cemetery may actually be useful
One location I have access to is a cemetery where I've investigated numerous times.
That gives me something I don't normally have in paranormal research:
a baseline.
I've been there roughly ten times without experiencing anything I would consider strongly paranormal when I wasn't deliberately investigating.
When I have deliberately investigated, I've sometimes obtained things that I found interesting—but not every time.
I can therefore compare future sessions against my own previous experience there.
There is also a particular grave known as the Gypsy Queen, where visitors have left numerous objects and offerings.
During one investigation, I asked:
“Can I take your gold?”
I received an immediate and remarkably clear “yes” response, and I have the event recorded.
I'm not claiming that proves the dead woman communicated with me.
But it gives me an interesting baseline for future experimentation.
The cemetery's history also isn't simply something I picked up from an internet legend. I've personally gone through historical cemetery records, and the cemetery's own publications discuss parts of the history involved.
I've also encountered firsthand witnesses connected with unusual experiences surrounding the cemetery.
That kind of documentation matters.
The witness question
One thing I've learned from paranormal investigation is that people often dismiss testimony too quickly.
If an elderly witness tells me she experienced something extraordinary, I don't have to accept her explanation to recognize that she is reporting something she believes genuinely happened.
In one case, a woman described an experience involving what appeared to be photographs or images associated with her deceased husband, followed by hearing a voice say:
“I'm not dead.”
I'm interested in documenting her testimony while she is still able to tell the story herself.
If I ask a witness to swear on a Bible that she is telling the truth, that doesn't magically transform the testimony into scientific proof.
But it does establish something about the nature of the testimony:
she is willing to formally affirm that she is telling me what she genuinely remembers and believes happened.
That's relevant to the question of evidence.
Science and paranormal investigation don't have to be enemies
I don't want to use science as decoration.
I also don't want to use the word “science” as a weapon to shut down questions before they can be investigated.
A good investigation should allow the possibility that the result will disappoint you.
That's one reason I'm interested in controls.
If the skull produces nothing unusual, I'll have learned something.
If the skull produces something unusual but the same thing happens with ordinary quartz, that's important.
If the skull produces unusual results repeatedly while ordinary quartz does not, that is interesting.
If people report more experiences with the skull but instruments show nothing, that is interesting too.
If instruments register something but nobody reports an experience, that's interesting.
And if nothing happens at all?
That's a result.
The goal isn't to manufacture evidence.
The goal is to find out what happens.
What if the skull is fake?
Here's the question I really want to leave readers with.
Suppose every famous crystal skull eventually turns out to have been carved in the nineteenth century.
Would that settle everything?
I don't think it would.
It would settle an important archaeological question.
It would tell us that those particular objects weren't ancient Mesoamerican carvings.
But then another question remains:
What happened to them afterward?
Why did people report experiences?
Why did these objects become so culturally powerful?
Why do people continue to have unusual experiences around certain objects?
Can belief affect perception?
Can focused attention affect consciousness?
Can consciousness affect matter?
Can collective belief create something that feels independent?
Can an object become a focus for something we don't yet know how to measure?
And, ultimately:
Does an object's physical age determine everything it can possibly mean or do?
Maybe the answer is yes.
Maybe it isn't.
Two kinds of “real”
Perhaps part of the problem is that we use the word real as though it has only one meaning.
An object can be physically real.
A person's experience can be experientially real.
A tradition can be culturally real.
And then there is the much harder question:
Is there an independent external phenomenon behind the experience?
Those are four different questions.
If someone sees something that isn't physically there, the experience is still real in the sense that the person experienced it.
If hundreds of people report similar experiences, that doesn't automatically prove an external phenomenon—but it may make the phenomenon more interesting to investigate.
And if a physical object repeatedly appears in those reports, perhaps the object itself deserves attention.
That is the possibility I'm exploring.
I don't need crystal skulls to be supernatural
This may be the most important point of all.
I'm not emotionally invested in proving that crystal skulls are ancient.
I'm not emotionally invested in proving that they're extraterrestrial.
I'm not even emotionally invested in proving that they're paranormal.
What interests me is whether we are overlooking a category of phenomena simply because the existing arguments don't fit neatly into either “ancient artifact” or “modern fake.”
Maybe crystal skulls are mostly nineteenth-century objects that acquired extraordinary mythology.
Maybe people experience unusual things because of expectation and altered states of consciousness.
Maybe some experiences have explanations we haven't discovered yet.
Maybe consciousness interacts with objects in subtle ways.
Maybe something genuinely paranormal is happening.
And maybe several of those things are true at the same time.
That's the possibility I find most interesting.
The experiment will be the next chapter
This article is not intended to be the final word.
It's the beginning.
The next step is to take the questions off the page and into the real world.
I'll document the skull.
I'll document the locations.
I'll establish baselines where possible.
I'll compare conditions.
I'll record the sessions.
I'll meditate with the skull.
I'll investigate with it.
I'll investigate without it.
And then I'll report what actually happened.
If the results are boring, I'll say they're boring.
If something extraordinary happens, I'll document that too.
Because ultimately, I don't think the best way to approach questions like this is to decide the answer before doing the investigation.
The best approach is to ask a better question.
And for me, that question is no longer simply:
“Are crystal skulls ancient?”
It's:
“What happens when a physical object becomes the focus of extraordinary amounts of human attention, belief, intention and experience—and could that accumulated history actually matter?”
I don't know.
But I think it's worth finding out.
Sources & Further Reading
The following are the sources that informed the questions and examples discussed in this article. They include skeptical, archaeological, paranormal, experiential and popular-culture material. They are intentionally presented together rather than divided into “believer” and “debunker” camps.
Debunking Death
Thoughtforms and tulpas
Debunking Death — “WHAT IS A TULPA? A short description of what a tulpa or a thoughtform is…”
Debunking Death — “Top 10 Pieces of Evidence that Paranormal Tulpas Might Actually Exist”
Consciousness and Dean Radin
Debunking Death — “Proving the Existence of Life After Life”
Gypsy Queen / cemetery investigation
Debunking Death — paranormal investigation archive containing the Gypsy Queen investigation material
Crystal Skull Background & Experiences
New Dawn — “The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls”
This is particularly useful for its discussion of the Mitchell-Hedges skull and the reported experiences and healing claims of people who spent time with it.
Mystery Atlas — “Is It Real? The Crystal Skull Mystery”
Rainbow
Ancient Crystal Skulls — Rainbow
This page contains the history, traditions and claims associated with Rainbow. Those claims should be understood as reported history and spiritual tradition rather than automatically as established archaeological fact.
Ancient Aliens & Crystal Skulls
Ancient Aliens — “Crystal Skulls from Outer Space”
Ancient Aliens — quartz, information storage and crystal skulls
Ancient Aliens — “Mysterious Devices & Magic of the Gods” marathon
Joe Rogan / Dan Aykroyd
JRE Clips — “Joe Rogan | The Crystal Skulls and Alien Abductions w/Dan Aykroyd”
The Shadow
Strange Familiars — “The Shadow's Ghost”
This episode discusses Walter Gibson, the creator of The Shadow, and reports concerning a strange figure associated with the residence where he wrote the stories.
Additional Perspective
The article intentionally draws from sources that do not all agree with one another. Some present archaeological or skeptical interpretations; others document paranormal traditions, firsthand reports or speculative theories.
That disagreement is part of the investigation.
The objective isn't to assemble a collection of sources that all reach the same conclusion.
It's to examine what happens when we put the different pieces on the table at the same time.